Monday, June 29, 2009

Catch up

Its been entirely too hot to do anything lately :( For almost a week straight my little thermometer read in the 100's. Any thought of going out during the evening was quickly retreated from as the storm clouds would roll in. All in all not much has happened lately. We did have a rather nasty storm that walloped my tomatoes the other day. I had to go out and restake some of them. As far as harvest go I did get to start picking my peas. I've gotten quite a few so far. I thought for sure the hot weather was going to kill them straight away but thankfully it did not. They look a little worse for the wear but are now flowering again. My lettuce patch went to flower- Sorry Mom! I have a little bit of bibb left that I'm using as cut and come again. Maybe i will try to get some heat resistant kinds in this week. I miss my arugala too badly to not try to plant more. While meandering through Sherbondy's this week I stumbled upon clearance vegetables. Too bad Jer wasn't there to put in some reason. I ended up with more cucumbers, tomatoes, and watermelon.( Oh MY!) I'm not sure if its too late for all of those but at least I will get to see. I planted those today seeing as the weather was only in the 80's. I was looking at my johnny's seed catalogue when I noticed something peculiar. My fairy tale eggplant is a mini! Here I've been waiting for them to get bigger (they are about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide) OOPS! I have a little square of unused space towards the back of my garden right now and I'd like to try beets. I do this with great hesitation because of an incident at a salad bar once. Everyone swears that fresh grown beets taste nothing like the salad bar stuff though. So here I am in the seed packet aisle again. I should be banded. I ended up with Hybrid Red Ace as my choice. Lets hope they stand up. For my harvest today its 2 green peppers, 1 banana pepper, more peas,2 eggplants, and some carrot thinnings for my sidekicks. oh I also picked some lemon balm,pineapple sage, and some apple mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment